Monday, February 08, 2010

A Little Mood Music...



Music is a key fuel for my creative world.

Every time I meet a new character, at some point they lead me to their “theme” song. This soundtrack for their book gives me a glimpse into deeper issues for the character or summarizes their personality. Listening to the music makes it easier to slip into their point of view for writing sessions, quickly and easily.

We’ve also talked about “anthem” songs here on the blog, songs that inspire and encourage us when life is tough or frustrating. I have several of these on my iPod and they also encourage me in my writing. When I’m tired, frustrated, or simply lost in my journey, these songs urge me to stay connected and fervent in pursuit of my dreams.

This was especially important last year and the first part of this year. In the last 3 months I’ve received 3 rejections and had to pull 1 submission because it had been tied up too long with no show of interest from the editor. Quite discouraging.

Then my sister sent me this song, and I have to admit it has quickly become my new favorite. I hope you enjoy it too:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rascalflattsofficial?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/45/-N0yB24M7VM


Stand by Rascall Flats (I had to put the link because I can't figure out how to get this particular YouTube video to embed. Sorry!)

I especially love the video, with the words they use at the end. I'm a word kind of girl and use it a lot outside of writing too, like in decorating and scrapbooking. :) Very inspirational! I already have a character who has claimed this song as her own.

What kind of roll does music play in your life? Does it fuel creativity, influence your moods, or provide hours of entertainment? Do you secretly dance around your house with it up loud or blast out the car when you drive alone? (I’m guilty as charged!) ;)

Angel

P.S. Instigator is blogging today over at the Blaze Author's blog. www.blazeauthors.com. Drop by and see her!

8 comments:

Stephanie Jones AKA Alicia Hunter Pace said...

Angel,
I don't find that music influences my mood as much as it does you and some other folks we know but I do often use music on my Ipod to block out other sounds that might distract me. I usually use music that I am very familar with so that it isn't a distraction. Hmmm there might be a theme here.

Problem Child said...

Oh, I boogie when I'm home alone -- or just with AC as she's very uncritical of dancing styles. I'm also a rock star in the car.

No so much in person, though! :-)

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Music definitely plays a role for me, but it usually isn't the music I expect. I'd expect the Underworld soundtrack for a vampire book, but it rarely works out that way. For some reason, the soundtrack to the klepto book was Demon Days by the Gorillaz. No idea... a little quirky, I guess. The poker book was Britney Spears's Greatest Hits. See... no sense at all.

I sing in the car, the shower, around the house, in my office, walking through the parking lot... dancing, though... not so much.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I LOVE music. I sing. I dance. I can't sit still when music is on.

I've also been known to use it to inspire me when I need to write. However, I've found that different books and characters respond to music differently for me. Some books I can write with my ipod blaring rock and pop in my ears. Some I can't have any music at all or I can't hear my characters. I think it has to do with the feel of the book that I'm writing.

Instigator

Playground Monitor said...

I love to sing but will never be invited to audition for anything. I'm strictly a shower and car and home singer. I can't listen to music with lyrics while I write because I'll stop writing and start singing. I do have some instrumental CDs I listen to that help block out the outside noise.

I love to dance too and recently found myself doing a solo triple swing to Josh Turners "Why Don't We Just Dance" when I heard it on the radio.

LeaannS said...

I find that not only do my characters have particular taste in music that inspires me when I work with them, but that I can be listening to a song on the radio or music on Pandora and have bits and pieces about different characters come to mind. This really helps when I'm stuck! :)

Katherine Bone said...

I love soundtracks. I've been looking for The Young Victoria soundtrack but haven't found it here yet. Writing historical, soundtracks are a great way to channel the period.

But what I'm especially thrilled about right now if the Kesha CD!! OMG, it is sooo great!

Sonya said...

I have favorite songs that I listen to depending on what I'm writing. If I'm working on YA-then I listen to the soundtrack from Twilight or from Spectacular.

If I'm writing romance, I listen to Michael Buble or Vince Gill or Rascal Flatts.

Sometimes I'll change the music to suit the scene-fast paced-edgy, I'll put in REM or Chicago and the revved up beat works for me. : - )