I saw an article recently on Intent.com about ways to make yourself happier. I thought they were important tips to share because I don't know about you, but I could use a happier year. Really, a lot of times you can't change your situation but you can change how you think about and manage the situation. The article even kicks off with this quote from Marcus Aurelius Antoninus ~ "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking."
That makes all the difference, really, although altering your brain can be hard work (especially if you're a cynical, sarcastic, old cooter like I am). On our road to happiness, here's their 15 tips for being a happier person.
1. Be your own BFF (best friend forever). Enjoy your own company. Embrace everything about you! Without a doubt, it's the most important step towards being a happy person.
2. Smile, giggle, snicker, or chuckle! Smiling releases serotonin in the brain, which instantaneously gives your mood a lift.
3. Dream big in every area of life. Set your life in motion and manifest your heart's desire.
4. Shut the doors and the windows tight! And then put on your favorite song and sing out loud. Let it rip!
5. Cook a healthy, delicious meal. Serve it up pretty and savor the flavor, one bite at a time.
6. Expect a miracle. Believe that something wonderful will happen for you today. The universe is waiting to shower happy blessings on you.
7. Meditate, pray and chant. Research shows that people who are spiritual tend to be happier and healthier than those who are not.
8. Pull up your best pair of warm socks. Wiggle your toes and enjoy a cozy kind of bliss.
9. Sleep baby sleep. Seven or eight hours each night should increase your energy and decrease your moodiness.
10. Count your blessings daily. Gratitude, the emotion of thankfulness, is one of the key ingredients for living a happy life. Make gratitude a habit and happiness will be yours.
11. Wake up early! Start the day off on a happy foot, with a happy thought. The morning hours are full of spiritual energy and prana (life force).
12. Let the sun shine in. 20 minutes of sunlight per day improves mood and wards of Seasonal Affection Disorder (SAD).
13. Take a hot bath. Feel the tension melt away as you sink into a pool of happiness.
14. Say "Good Job!" Give yourself permission to pat yourself on the back. Recognize your accomplishments and positive qualities.
15. Happiness is contagious! Surround yourself with happy, positive people who share your values, your goals and dreams.
I think it's a pretty good list. What about you? Do you agree? Think some of the things are bunk? Anything you'd add that Intent.com left off?
Contest : Okay - this is the last day of the website launch contest. Be sure to email the answers each day for an entry to win a $50 Amazon.com giftcard! Today's question will force you to crack open the Playground Yearbook to answer it.
The Playground Hall of Feet is a long standing tradition that goes back to the very retreat where the Playground was formed. Since that time, only two "guest feet" have ever appeared in the gallery. Whose feet made an appearance along with a lovely golden lady?
Email the answer to firstname.lastname@example.org to enter and don't forget we're also offering additional entries for broken link reports. The Playground has a ton of new links, especially in the article and interview archives. Help us catch any glitches for more chances to win.
Be sure to check back tomorrow to see who the lucky reader is!