Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ask us: Conference Edition

While the Playfriends attend the RWA National Conference, we're answering your questions about life, writing, and everything else on the blog. Comments are open and there are prizes to be won!

jeanne asks: I would love to know what authors you are all excited about meeting at the conference.


PC: Oh wow. Thanks to RWA conferences, I can say I've gotten to at least say hello to authors I get all fan-girl just thinking about: Jenny Crusie, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Julie Garwood, Nora Roberts. Most of the authors I'm looking forward to meeting are the ones I've "met" online, but not in person. The Mills and Boon "Newbies" are planning a breakfast meeting and I'm really looking forward to meeting all the authors I've been talking to online for the last year.

PM: This will be my sixth conference and like PC I've had the fan-girl moments meeting Meg Cabot, Vicki Lewis Thompson, Suzanne Brockmann and more. But I'm also always excited to meet the authors who've made their first sale since last year. You can spot them by the pink ribbon on their badge and the absolute glow that surrounds them. Last year PC had her pink ribbon and year before it was Instigator. Our good friend and chapter mate Lynn Raye Harris will be wearing a pink ribbon this year.

SP: Hmm...this is my fifth conference. I've met so many cool people, so its hard to say. I don't know that its any one author that I'm excited about, so much as being in the author-zone. Everywhere I look will be people who 'get' me. People who live my dream. Its a comforting feeling. Its also cool to bump into someone, read their nametag and realize - "Hey! I know you from such and such but I've never met you in person." Those are fun moments. I have to admit though, that I'm glad Stephenie Meyer is not a member of RWA that I know of. I'd hate to go fangirl on her, and I don't think I could stop myself.

Insti: Like the others, I've been to several conferences and have had my share of fangirl moments - Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Nora Roberts, Suzanne Enoch, Jenny Crusie... This year I wish Charlaine Harris were going to be there because I'd completely wig out. But what I look forward to most is seeing people I can only connect with once a year - especially the other Blaze Babes.

Angel: Like the other Playfriends, I've been to enough conferences to have met many of my favorite authors, including Sharon Sala, Sabrina Jeffries, and Mary Jo Putney. This year, I'm looking forward to hearing JR Ward and Jessica Andersen speak during a workshop. Most of all, I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow Golden Heart finalists -- the 2009 Ruby Slipper Sisterhood. I've gotten to "meet" them online, but this will be a chance to see them in person.

*jeanne, send your snail mail addy to the Playground Monitor to claim your prize!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to meet some of the ladies that you all mentioned, it would be awesome. Also, will you ladies be taking and bringing back pictures for us? I certainly hope so. I hope you ladies have a wonderful time.
robertsonreads

catslady said...

I'm so excited you picked my question. Thank you so much for all your answers. You picked a lot of the same authors I would love to meet. I'm sure I would be speechless though lol. It's nice to know that authors get just as excited to meet other authors :) And getting to meet someone that only you've met online would be very exciting! Thanks again!!!

Angel said...

We'll definitely be bringing home pictures and try to post some next week. We're out to dinner at The Occidental tonight.

Playground Monitor said...

Pictures? Oh yeah! Angel is quite the picture-taker, and we're all under orders to take photos. We'll be posting them after we get home.

Kammie said...

Hope you all have a great time! Someday I would love to go to a conference and meet all my favorite authors and online reader friends.