Monday, December 19, 2011

It's a Date!

Photobucket




December is a very unusual month for our family – not only do we have Christmas and holiday hoopla, but my hubby’s birthday is Christmas Day. I try to make this a totally different celebration for him, because my birthday is important to me. I enjoy being treated especially nice by my family and given the day off from chores and housework. He should be able to feel the same way, and that’s hard to do when you’re running from one house to the other and helping prepare for a crowd to descend around here.

I’ve done this in different ways – picked a random day for us to celebrate, celebrate the day after Christmas when he’s off work, and one year I even threw him a surprise party in October. It was definitely a surprise!

This year, when I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday, he said (after a bit of thought) that he really wanted for the two of us to go out alone. (Awwwwwww…..)

We don’t get to do this very often because of his crazy work schedule, overworked babysitters, and the biggest issue… What Do We Go Do?

Our town isn’t overflowing with romantic options, so we usually opt for dinner and/or a movie. We both love to go to the movies and getting to go together is a special treat. Luckily, we enjoy a lot of the same types of movies. I can just imagine us as an old retired couple going to the dollar theater every week as our “special” outing.

But sometimes you want to break out of the mould, and birthdays seem to be the perfect time for that. Only I don’t have enough money at Christmas for spas, trips, or BIG dates.

There has to be something in between, right? Any ideas? What’s you and your significant other’s favorite Go To dates? What’s the most fun or most romantic or most simple date you’ve been on? I’d love some ideas!

Angel

3 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

I don't suppose he enjoys art? The art museum downtown has an exhibit of Tiffany stained glass windows. They are breathtaking. There's also an exhibit by Herb Ritts, a celebrity and fashion photographer. It includes a series of music videos shown on a wall that's probably 12-15 feet high. You can see the full exhibit list here: http://www.hsvmuseum.org/art/current-exhibits/

If he isn't an art museum guy, maybe one of the downtown walking tours like the ghost tour. I've taken one called "Mischief and Mayhem" and it was a lot of fun plus I learned some of the town's old gossip.

And then there's a little restaurant nearby called Watercress. It's a la carte and a little pricey, but not so much is you are able to go at lunch. They have a website at http://downtown.watercresshsv.com/ . They have a Chilled Peach Jar Pie that's to die for. There's also a S'Mores Bread Pudding that looked pretty good.

Happy celebrating!

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Zilla and I are trying to figure out when we might steal away to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie. Honestly, it's been so hard lately to find time that anything together is a treat.

But does he have a favorite restaurant? DH and I always enjoy walking a nature trail together (but it might be a little cold for that). I'd suggest maybe you plan something special for just the two of your on New Year's but... :-D

Insti

Cheryl C. said...

I love to go to the movies and I desperately want to see the Sherlock Holmes movie too! We like to go out to eat some place special when we are celebrating. Maybe a dinner and a movie would work. I also like to take tours (like PM) but again, not so romantic. Maybe a one night escape to a hotel room - with room service. A lot of them are running deals this time of year...

My hubby is faced with the same problem - my birthday is just before Christmas. He usually gets stuck but this year he has planned a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant and then a drive through the Botanical Garden lights. (I love Christmas lights!). That might be an idea for you too. Hot chocolate afterward before a nice fire...