Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Home again, home again...


Oh, happy day. First draft of the book is done and I'm getting caught up on a lot of things that have just been sliding by the last week or so. It's a sad state of affairs (or maybe it tells you something about the sad state of my house) when the thought of being able to tidy things up fills you with relief. (I've also scheduled a massage for this morning, so that fills me with relief as well)!

I've spent the last two weekends at book signings (spending six hours in a car with Lynn Raye Harris at the same time), and the cool thing about book signings is that even when you don't get the lines of people just dying to get your autograph, you always have at least one really cool moment you'll take away.

Case in point, the book signing I went to in McCalla, Alabama. The bookstore owner made a whole-day long event, with crafters set up at tables, a band playing all day, catered lunches, raffles and yes, some writers on hand. (My friend Paula Graves has a full report here.) When I posted on Facebook (and here) about the event, one of our regular readers, robertsonreads, said she'd come see us! I love meeting readers in general, but meeting someone who comes to the blog every day and plays with us is just awesome!


That's me and Lynn with Ginger (aka robertsonreads) and a little guy who's name totally escapes me at the moment. (Sorry, little cutie! You were a doll!) The weather was gorgeous, as you can see, and even an indoor cat like me enjoyed being outside. And I was totally flattered that Ginger would come see us!

This past Saturday was the Southern Magic Readers' Luncheon in Birmingham, keynoted by the fab and funny Peggy Webb. Lynn and I made the trek down I-65 again and had nice lunch with local readers. One of my oldest and dearest friends -- the one I talked about a couple of weeks ago in fact here -- came by quickly to give me a hug and be impressed by the "big, famous, author." (~snort~) Kira, Lynn and I were looking mighty cute, if I do say so myself.


After all the traveling I've been doing the last two months, I'm glad to know I'll be sticking pretty close to home for the rest of the year. But it also means that the cute clothes and makeup get put away, and I go back to being "But, Mmmooommmm" and "Um, Honey?"

But I like that, too. ~smile~

So, how was your weekend?

PC

~~~
Oh, and by the way, I've finally gotten my official page up on Facebook. I'd love it if you "liked" me there!

6 comments:

Heidi Rice said...

Wow, PC, very impressed not only that you braved a book signing (and not one but two) but that you had such a great time.... Almost makes me wonder if I should brave another myself.

Have a nice massage and house tidy! And congrats on finishing your first draft. I'm starting a new book at the moment... In fact I've been starting it for about two weeks, feels like I'm trying to climb Mount Everest again in high heels. Not surprising I've decided to hang around base camp for a while where they have a hot tub and some gorgeous mountaineers!

LA said...

Enjoy this time before the rewrites!!! You have a lot on your to-do list before the holidays!

Playground Monitor said...

I guess these were your "Joan Wilder" moments?

I'm there with Heidi on Mount Everest in high heels -- writing a book for NaNoWriMo. Only I haven't found the base camp with the hot tub and gorgeous mountaineers. *pouts*

Angel said...

Watching you has taught me very much that once I publish, I should enjoy the "Joan Wilder" moments and the "writer" moments. The dress up clothes and the sweat pants. :) Enjoy yourself!

Angel

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Can we please stay home for a while? ;)

robertsonreads said...

I loved that you ladies came to my hometown. And thank you so much for the goodie bag. We enjoyed a beautiful day and I had a blast. As did my nephew Cameron. I have since touched base with Gayle Wilson also, a blast from her past. I wish I could have met you again this past Saturday, but we had Homecoming here at the school and I had related duties with this event.

Again, thank you both for taking time to be away from your families, I enjoyed meeting you both, and let me say that your pictures do not do both you lovely ladies justice. Unfortunately mine does.....lol