Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Shining

Luster: A rich, shiny, semi-transparent effect. Very high gloss. A reference to the brightness of an object that shines with reflected light rather than producing its own. A quality that outshines the usual.


Some things in life have luster and never seem to lose it. Things like new pennies, glazed pottery and diamonds.






Good friends, favorite places, a classic book or movie -- these never seem to lose their luster either. And how about a dozen roses? They're always welcome at my house.






On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are plenty of things in life that lost it long ago. Things like laundry, dusting and mopping. Grocery shopping, scrubbing the toilet, trimming your toenails. Pulling weeds, cleaning the grout in your ceramic tile, emptying the cat's litter box. On the other hand, now that I think about it, they never had much luster to begin with.



Of course there are a few folks like "Mopping Woman" here who obviously took a bad knock to the head, which warped her thinking. She most likely slipped on her perfectly shined floor while wearing those high heels and banged her head against the gleaming, dust-free coffee table all while keeping her pearls neatly around her neck and her skirt at knee length with nary a run in her nylon stockings. :-/



One last thing that never loses its luster is praise for and appreciation of one's work. That too comes in many forms -- a simple thank you, monetary payment or an "atta girl." Here on the Playground, we also respond with a loud "SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!"

I sold my 15th short story Monday and I have to say that finding that plain white envelope from the publisher in my mailbox, with my name showing through the cellophane envelope, has not lost one bit of its luster. I squealed as loudly Monday as I did last year when I received the first contract. Maybe one day I'll get a "Call" about a book like Instigator did, or get requests like the other Playfriends have and then I'll probably set dogs barking two counties away.

What (or who) has lost its luster for you? And what still shines brightly in your eyes?




P.S. All systems are go, the flight director has given the thumbs-up sign and there's a new blog a-launching. Playground friends Rhonda Nelson, Jennifer LaBrecque and Vicki Lewis Thompson will kick off
Soap Box Queens today. Be sure to bop on over and check it out.

P.P.S. Congratulations to NatureNut. You're PC's winner from yesterday. Please contact her with your name and snail mail addy.

P.P.S. OLC (One Lucky Commenter) today will win a shiny new autographed copy of THE CEO'S SCANDALOUS AFFAIR by Rita award winning author Roxanne St. Claire.

23 comments:

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Congratulations on your latest sale, PM. I don't believe sales will ever lost their shine, ever, ever.

Bron

Kammie said...

Ironing and paying bills. Boring and definitely lost their luster. Although, I don't think it was ever there.

On the opposite side of that, my husband is one of the things in life that still has luster and is always welcome at my house. lol

Pat L. said...

Congrats on your 15th s.s.

Housework - tho' it never had luster. LOL.

Going book shopping is always a great thing as well as going out to dinner. And spending time with my daughter and her husband.

Anonymous said...

Seeing my latest book in print never loses it's luster. I got my copies of THE ROOKIE yesterday. It's my Harlequin NASCAR September release. HTG, I was jumping up and down and generally acting a fool -- even though it's my 15th book.

Uh...housework has NEVER had any luster...at all.

And thanks for telling everyone about The Soapbox Queens. Hope everyone drops by today!

Renee Andrews said...

WOOHOO!!! Congrats on the new sale :) And I agree, those plain white envelopes are very, very nice to find in the mailbox!

Kelley

www.kelleystjohn.com

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Congratulations on your sale, PM!! We're squeeeeeing right along with you. :-)

Um, being woken from a sound sleep in the middle of the night to be asked if Baby Girl or Sweet Pea can go potty has definitely lost its luster (not that it ever had it). We've tried and tried to convince them they don't have to ask before going potty... And while I absolutely adore my children, 6 years of losing sleep is definitely no longer fun.

On the other hand, watching them grow and learn and love...now that's something I'll never get tired of.

Instigator

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, PM! (And thanks for the plug!)

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Congratulations, PM!!! SQUEEEE!!!

Hmm, what's lost its luster for me? Moving, and thankfully I don't have to do that anymore. :) I don't have to worry about that piece of paper arriving in 3 years that says we're moving to somewhere we never expected. :)

So many things will never lose their luster for me, but I suppose the biggie (being writerly for a moment) would be having written. Notice I said having written. The act of writing is still torturous and painful, but I love the part where I sit back and say, wow, there's a book there. :)

Oh, and don't include me in the drawing for Rocki's book. Got it at National and already plowed through it. :) Can I please be her when I grow up? :)

Problem Child said...

I'm still at the stage where getting a request has a lot of shine to it.

All the "being a grownup" things have lost their luster...car payments, house fixing, etc.

Angel said...

The thing that is beginning to regain its luster is house arranging and decorating. For so long I had been in baby mode, where you just hope the house gets cleaned occassionally. Then stripping the house of its personality so we could sell it (I hate white walls).

Now I can decorate again. A little at a time, but its happening. Drama Queen is thrilled with the bright pink curtains I bought her this weekend. :)

Playground Monitor said...

"Being a grownup" things -- that sums it up. Remember when we wanted out own checking account? Now I gripe cause I have to reconcile it. I wanted my own car; now I have to maintain it. The list goes on. Not that I'm ungrateful for the car or the fact I have enough money to even open a checking account.

Off to the grocery store. Ugh! What's for dinner tonight? Maybe we should have a recipe exchange since I'm getting kinda sick of mine.

PM

CrystalGB said...

Cooking and doing housework have definitely lost their luster.
Congratulations on your sell.

Anonymous said...

congrats. wtg nn on your win, i will check it out.

kim h

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Adulthood has definitely lost its luster. You spend all your youth wishing to be older and all your older years wishing to be young, I guess. Responsibilties, bills, cleaning, day jobs...no fun. None. Sometimes it would be nice to go back to a time when my biggest worries were my spelling words and making my bed. Chores I can handle.

At the same time though, being grown up allows you many things I wouldn't trade. Can't sign a book contract if you're under age, you know. Getting a request is always a great feeling. Right now, that's the best I've gotten. Looking forward to other big envelopes in the future.

Kati said...

Marilyn! Wonderful news, congrats!

Newly lustrous for me is the ability to shop it "regular people" stores. For more than a decade, I shopped exclusively at Lane Bryant. Now, don't get me wrong, Lane Bryant does a terrific job with what they do.

But I still can't get over the novelty of going into the Gap and being able to find clothes that fit.

I agree with everyone who said "being a grown up" has totally lost it's luster.

Maureen said...

Congratulations on your latest sale. Owning a house lost it's luster some years ago but at first I was thrilled.

Katherine Bone said...

SQUEEEE! Congratulations on making another sale, PM! Way to go!!!

3 Cheers for soapboxqueens! Good luck with your blog!

Lost luster...feeling like a rope that is being tugged at both ends on Field Day!

Forever luster...seeing a great movie you've waited to see, XOXO from the one you love, children saying they love you, and more recently a partial request. Whoopee!!!! Love them all!

Kathy

catslady said...

Congratulations!

Cooking and yardwork for sure. I used to really enjoy both.

Starting a new book will always have luster for me - such possibilities!

tetewa said...

Congrats on your sale PM and laundry always lacks luster for me.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Congrats on your new sale, PM!!! You're the only one I know who has a stack of gold in a pile of magazines. grin

Thanks for announcing my win!!! WOOHOO!!! I'm tickled pink and am intrigued by the title I'm getting.


Politics has lost its luster for me. I used to eagerly wait for the evening news and now I can't stand to listen to it.

New books hold their shine for me!!! Worlds are waiting to be discovered under the cover of each one. :D

Hugs, JJ

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your sale!!!

Cherie J said...

Congrats on the new sale. Hugs, kisses, and smiles from my two little ones never lose their shine. Housekeeping lost it's shine a long time ago. I hate cleaning.

robynl said...

congrats on the sale; housework is no longer luster in my eyes but having a good day with dh and feeling good healthwise never loses luster.