Thursday, June 28, 2007

Out of the Frying Pan

And into the fire. Despite still suffering from jet lag (I've been nodding off to sleep at 8:30 every night when I'm usually up 'til 11 or 12) I'm in the midst of nationals mania. In less than 2 weeks I'll be boarding the plane to Dallas. I just got off a plane. I'm not sure, after the hoopla it took to get home, that I want back on that merry-go-round.

But I'll go. Because it's Dallas. Because I get my pink ribbon. Because I get to have lunch with my editor (I love that I can say that).

However, the fact that I just returned from the vacation of a lifetime means that I am in no way ready to leave again. I have no idea what to wear. I haven't tried a single thing in my wardrobe on - my daily life doesn't usually call for business casual let alone dress formal (I know, shocking. The goats just can't appreciate sequins). I pull the same clothes out from the back of the closet each conference. Normally that wouldn't be a problem...except for the 15 pounds I've lost this year. Who'd have thought I'd ever complain about that?

There are lists to be made, schedules to pull together, shopping trips to plan, not to mention packing. I'm squeezing into two weeks what I normally spread over six. I guess it's good practice - working against a tight deadline :-) So, anyone have advice on how to streamline my process for efficiency? Or even a really good deal on dress pants or little black dresses?



Instigator

7 comments:

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I'm with ya, Sister. Only I think I've gained 15 instead. Clothes, schedule...nada. I might try to squeeze in a Ross trip at some point, but all my hopes are riding on it.

Angel said...

I feel your pain. I just started thinking about clothes yesterday after watching PM and PC try on their dresses. But I didn't get very far, as my hubby and I spent last night at the hospital while Little Man got his first stitches. Poor thing.

I really could use a shopping trip, not that I need to spend money on clothes after the trip to Scotland and the $150 emergency room co-pay I put on my credit card last night.

And don't even talk to me about schedule. I feel way behind in that department. I've started thinking about it, does that count? :)

You'll be fine, though. I'm really excited for you this year! They say to never miss your first conference after you've sold. I just know it will be a whirlwind, but exciting experience for you!

Linda Winstead Jones said...

I feel your pain, too. I spent 3 months working hard to lose 10 pounds, then gained 4 of it back when we were in Disneyworld for a week. (Hey, ice cream is pretty much required when you're in the happiest place on earth and it's 110 degrees.) So, now I'm working to knock off as much of that 4 as I can, so the clothes that fit just fine before I left for Disney will lose that too-snug feeling.

I'm actually walking on the treadmill while listening to an audiobook. I like it! Makes the time go by pretty fast.

LJ

Playground Monitor said...

Ross. I found black pants and 2 little black dresses there.

Try to pick a few pieces that can be combined in a lot of ways. That's what I'm doing this year. And make a list of what you need to do and what you need to pack. It's easier to hit the target if you can see it.

Put your schedule on an Excel spreadsheet or Word table. Makes it easier to keep up with.

Off to shop in Scottsboro at Unclaimed Baggage with my Red Hat ladies. See y'all later.

PM

Katherine Bone said...

I KNOW I've gained 15 pounds and that's the problem. I'm desperately trying to run it off and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to in 2 weeks.

Everyone has great advice. Like everyone else, I'm trying to pack light this year. Add a special dress, shawl, shoes, etc...and luggage space disappears all too quickly.

I'd also like to thank Maven Linda for the great shoe advice yesterday. I'll check it out.

Kathy

Problem Child said...

Technically, we should have started obsessing over this weeks ago.

I have my wardrobe planned.

Now I just need to start in on that pitch thingy...

KK

Anonymous said...

Can i say i'm jealous you're all going to Dallas?

With that done, i normally make an itinerary of what's happening, leaving large spaces for more writing.

I start with the big stuff. Main meet and greet dinner, final goodbye dinner (those are the dressiest at times) and put in what i want to wear at those.

Then i work backwards, adding in the other things...for you all, it would be lunch with an editor, workshops, etc...

By the time my schedule is made, i know 95% of what i'm bringing. I also know that you posted a few days ago, to 'share' items between all of you...that should help. Especially if someone wears the same size in dresses, shoes, pants, etc...and you don't mind sharing. Most of my friends don't mind the sharing part.

When you go - hug Jenna Mills for me please...

Nini :)