Monday, December 12, 2005

Words, words, words ~Shakespeare


Egads. It’s Monday and my turn to blog. How I wish I had something pithy, witty, and interesting to say, but I just don’t. I long to be insightful. I’d settle for being mildly amusing, but nothing’s coming through...

My brain is tired and is taking a much needed break.

So, instead of sharing any of my own words, I decided to share others’ words with you. Some words that resonated in me enough to cause me to write them down and pin them to the corkboard above my desk.

Do one thing every day that scares you. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Act as if it were impossible to fail. ~ Dorothea Brand

I am in the world to change the world. ~Muriel Rukeyser

Success breeds confidence. ~Beryl Markham

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

The great artists of the world are never Puritans and seldom even ordinarily respectable. ~ H. L. Mencken

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. ~Max Ehramann

Dreams are necessary to life. ~Anais Nin

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes. ~?

Writing is nothing more than a guided dream. ~ Jorge Borges

It is only trifles that irritate my nerves. ~Queen Victoria

The first and great commandment is, Don’t let them scare you. ~Elmer Davis

The worst sin—perhaps the only sin—passion can commit, is to be joyless. ~ Dorothy Sayer

The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want. ~ Ben Stein.

Feel free to share your favorites…maybe one of yours will spur my brain back into action.

I remain,
The Problem Child

5 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

When you wish upon a star,
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to you

If your heart is in your dreams, No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star as dreamers do

Fate is kind,
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of their secret longing

Like a bolt out of the blue,
Fate steps in and sees you thru
When you wish upon a star,
Your dreams come true

.................... Jiminy Cricket

Anonymous said...

Here are some that I've collected.

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"If there is no wind, row." Latin Proverb

"Thoughts are energy, and you can make your world or break your world by your thinking." Susan L. Taylor

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A handful of pine seed will cover mountains with the green majesty of forests. I too will set my face to the wind and throw my handful of seed on high." Fiona MacLeod

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved." Helen Keller

"What you believe, you will do." Linda Perrone Rooney

Problem Child said...

Bette Midler:

Cherish what makes you unique, 'cause you're really a yawn if it goes!

Maven Beverly Barton said...

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul..."
Henry Ward Beecher

This is one of my favorites. -- BB

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Sadly, I will admit that I tested out of college English and my collection of favorite quotes stems more from pop culture than great literature or great icons. Alas, some of the same messages apply.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Be just and fear not. - Rocky Horror Picture Show

In the end, we remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. - unknown

Those who do not read good books have no advantage over those who cannot read them. - unknown

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid. - unknown

What does that have to do with writing? Not much. But that's what I can remember.