Thursday, October 25, 2007

Um..Do As I Say Not As I Do?

Okay, so maybe I should follow my own advice. Well, really, I tried to follow my own advice but...things got out of hand. Honestly. One of my jobs on the playground is to occasionally look at a playfriend and admonish them for not saying no to something - like being classroom mom or agreeing to cook cupcakes for 50. I'm big on practicing the word no and I'm pretty good at saying it :-) However, I just couldn't get it out this time.

Every year our school has a major fundraiser. And when I say major I mean we raise around 30K in one night to help keep the cost of tuition down (my girls go to private school). We have an auction - silent and live - and a few other fundraising games and fun while we sip on beverages and eat overcooked beef at the country club.

Each class is responsible for providing a 'basket' of goodies that are auctioned off. Over the years we've discovered that if you can involve the kids in the project it brings in more money for the school. You might remember blogs from last year where I somehow got put in charge of procuring a picnic table (in Oct), having a classroom full of 5 yr olds paint it with their hands and coordinating other things to go with a picnic themed basket in the middle of winter. It was weeks of trips to the hardware store trying to find a lacquer that would mix with the paint we had, withstand outdoor punishment, and be healthy for an eating surface...a nightmare. The thing turned out adorable but...a NIGHTMARE.

So this year auction time rolls around and I've decided I have done my duty. I will shell out my money to attend and provide funds for assembling said basket but will not be in charge of it. I was very proud of myself when I received the phone call to work on Sweet Pea's basket. I said I couldn't get off work for the meeting, gave them an idea (which they're using) and brushed my hands of the affair thinking myself safe. Uh, no. I forgot about Baby Girl's class.

For those who don't know, Baby Girl's teacher changed last week. She now has Sweet Pea's kindergarten teacher from last year. We absolutely love Mrs. Kim! However when (in her first 2 days there) she says she was told me and my sister (who has a son in the class) are her auction basket mom's my jaw hit the floor. What? But we love Mrs. Kim and...we're in the middle of this upheaval and this needs to be taken care of quickly...and our room mom is actually in charge of acquisitions for the entire auction already so she really does have a full plate...and my sister's going to help so... So now I am trying to pull together a Cooking with the Kids basket. They are going to paint an adult and child's apron. We're going to do a cookbook with pictures of them all in a chef's hat. And I'm going to kill myself before the end of Nov. Yeah, I should definitely follow my own advice.

Ever have a situation where you should have followed your own advice?

Instigator

P.S. The winner from my blog last week is Stacy S. Congratulations! :-) Contact me here to claim your prize.

13 comments:

Problem Child said...

I always give out fantastic advice.

Pity I never follow it myself.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to go flush my head in the toilet on your behalf at the mere thought of having to pull together that cookbook. :(

I am always sage and wise...with others.;)

Playground Monitor said...

I'm sure I've failed to follow my own advice at some point, but I've probably blocked out the memories.

Good luck with the project. Need a good recipe for crock-pot vegetable soup? :grin:

PM

Stacy S said...

Thank you!!

Good luck with the project! I used to be like that. But I don't have a problem saying no now.

Katherine Bone said...

Instigator, you're talking to the wrong person. I got sucked into running this Concession Stand again. We had a coach change and our main coach needed no extra worries.... Well, I've promised myself not to do it next year. I've been told that #4 will be a senior and that I shouldn't do it next year, not after doing it 3 years in a row.

Problem is...I wasn't going to do it this year, get my drift? I know. I know, y'all told me to say "No". All I can say is, I tried. (shrug)

Katherine Bone said...

Wishing you luck on your project!

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Good luck with the project!

I have a hard time saying no too. And I feel guilty when I do. I've gotten pretty good lately at telling people I have a job and I have work to do. When people know you don't leave the home to go to work, they think you have tons of free time. Uh, no.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Sucker. :)

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Well :-D~~~~~ to you, SP. I didn't need it twice :-)

Instigator

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I didn't mean to post it twice. Oops! :)

Stacy S said...

When you posted your last blog, I said I had a job interview. I just got it today!! Woo hoo!! I'm excited. I don't start till Nov. 5th, but that's ok.

Problem Child said...

Yay stacy s!!

maybe we are a good luck charm!